Everybody's doing it!
Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs:
Everyone knows the man who was willing to crawl into sewers, wade into swamps, and generally get very dirty to show America all the different kinds of jobs that really do exist. But did you know that he picked barbershop when he was in high school? His choir teacher was a barbershop legend named Freddie King (Mike's dog is named Freddy as a tribute). Here's a little T.V. segment Mike did some years ago about barbershop, and you can tell he's a great bass!
Port City Sound:
Okay, so these guys aren't celebrities, but this video of them stuck on waiting plane went viral! These guys come from New England too! Just another instance of barbershop making it into the media and being loved by all!
Jimmy Fallon and the Ragtime Gals:
No doubt you've seen Jimmy Fallon inviting a whole host of stars to sing with his barbershop quartet, The Ragtime Gals. But did you know that the bass of that quartet, Tom Shillue, is an actual barbershopper who won the Northeastern District Quartet Championship in 2003? This guy means business! Here's a list of all the stars that have joined Fallon to sing some of the best harmonies around! We can't wait to see who he'll invite next!
- Steve Carell
- Kevin Spacey
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Justin Timberlake
Dick Van Dyke:
Everyone knows this man's face from Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but he also loves to sing barbershop. He loves it so much he has his own quartet called Dick Van Dyke and the Vantastix!
and to round out the list...
Here are just a few more names of celebrities, big and small, who were and are barbershoppers!
- Harry S. Truman (1884 – 1972) 33rd President of the United States
- Micah Sloat (1981 – present) Actor – lead role, Paranormal Activity 1 & 2
- The Osmond Brothers* Preteen quartet, later pop music stars
- John Miller (1950 – present) Executive vice-president, NBC television network
- Groucho Marx (1890 – 1977) Actor, comedian, host of “You Bet Your Life”
- Lynn Hauldren (1922 – 2011) TV / Empire Carpet pitchman
- Bill Hanna (1910 – 2001)* Creator of The Flintstones, many other television cartoon series
- Bill Gaither (1936 – present)* Gospel Singer / Producer / Grammy and Dove award winner
- Greg Buttle (1954 – present) Professional football player – NY Jets, Linebacker
- The Buffalo Bills – Famous quartet from The Music Man on Broadway and film, 1950 international quartet champion